OLD EDWARDS INN AND SPA COMPLETES NEW ADDITIONS, ENHANCEMENTS AND ACQUISITIONS. The NC Mountain Resort Opens New Guestrooms, a Third Pool, Two Restaurants and Guest Estates.
The NC Mountain Resort Opens New Guestrooms, a Third Pool, Two Restaurants and Guest Estates.
(Highlands, N.C.) Old Edwards Inn and Spa has finalized its latest round of enhancements and acquisitions to prepare for the growing number of visitors traveling to the four-star mountain resort. Among the most prominent of the additions is the new Falls Cottages at Old Edwards which adds 22 new guestrooms opening in June.
Old Edwards president Richard Delany says, “We are fortunate to have seen steady growth over the past several years due to the increasing awareness of our resort, as well as publicity from several global industry awards that we have received since we began transforming the property to a world-class spa and golf resort in 2004. Also, with Highlands’ growing popularity as a year-round destination as opposed to a seasonal vacation town, we now find ourselves in the position of increasing our room count and amenities in order to meet the growing demand. We are finalizing the renovations and additions and are excited to debut our new offerings.”
Enhancements and Additions Include:
A new spa café and additional relaxation solarium
- The former patio area outside the spa’s Fireside Lounge has been transformed into a spa café, leaving the Fireside Lounge completely available for contemplative relaxation. The Fireside Lounge previously housed the spa café, but as demand grew for the spa relaxation areas as well as the café, the expansion became necessary to retain the serene and spacious feeling of the wellness resort. Retractable glass walls surround the new café, so guests can still enjoy an alfresco dining experience during the spring, summer and fall.
- The third floor spa terrace has been enclosed to increase the indoor space available for lounging before, between and after treatments. The new space includes a fountain, a fireplace, a wall of windows and the soothing sea-foam green and oat colored décor featured in the existing solarium one floor below. Six chaise lounge chairs face the bank of windows, and cozy chairs and ottomans form additional sitting areas.
- New Guestrooms and an Outdoor Amenity Terrace
The twenty-two new luxury guestrooms that comprise the Falls Cottages at Old Edwards are housed in nine cottages built by John Lupoli Construction using native stone and wood with warm copper accents. The cottages surround an additional heated mineral pool with hot tub and a double-sided outdoor fireplace on the Falls Terrace. Many of the cottages can be rented in their entirety, providing accommodations for business retreats, girlfriend getaways, families, multigenerational vacations and weddings. Or each of the rooms can be booked separately for couples and individuals. Each of the Falls Cottages is named for one of the regional waterfalls that are abundant on the scenic Highlands Plateau. Also in the Falls Cottages area is the new Springhouse, a rustically elegant building for special events. The Falls Cottage rooms are bookable now for stays beginning in June.
- New Porte Cochère and Restaurant
- To create a sense of arrival and provide visual continuity across the property, The Lodge now features a new Porte Cochère and connecting covered walkway where guests arrive to be greeted, have their car unloaded, and be escorted to the registration area in the lobby.
- Also greeting guests in the Lodge Lobby is the new “Art’s at the Lodge” coffee café and bar that serves as a social gathering spot for guests wanting to relax with friends or interact on their mobile devices. Guests can enjoy made-to-order coffee drinks, pastries and breakfast items in the mornings, and in the afternoons relax with beverages from the full cocktail bar. Art’s at The Lodge features several sets of French doors that open onto a wrap-around porch overlooking the croquet lawn and offering alfresco seating for café guests.
On the lower level of the café and bar is the Kelsey Game and Theater Room that opened in 2012. Old Edwards President Richard Delany says, “Our guests are always looking for different experiences to suit various moods or vacation needs. Whether they want to spend a rejuvenating day at the spa, play golf, relax at the pool, or unwind in a social atmoshphere with some coffee or cocktails while mingling with friends or fellow travelers, we are constantly shaping the Old Edwards experience to meet their evolving needs.”
- New Guest Estates of Old Edwards
- The four-bedroom Hutchinson House was the third residence built in Highlands, NC. The graceful farmhouse was completely refurbished in 2002 to preserve the historical integrity while incorporating modern conveniences like an upscale kitchen, larger bedrooms and additional bathrooms. Nestled just off Main Street amid 3.65 lush acres of indigenous flora, like old-growth Rhododendron and Mountain Laurel, the Hutchinson property features wooded trails, ponds with cascading streams, arbors, a croquet lawn and a pavilion with fireplace. The Guest Estates are available for weddings and group retreats, as well as girlfriend getaways and family gatherings.
- The eight-bedroom Rockwood Lodge is located a few minutes from downtown Highlands on a spectacular expanse of mountain splendor. The home sits in a stunning setting atop one of the highest peaks in the area with 360 degree views of the surrounding mountains. Rockwood Lodge boasts several common areas – indoors and out—and the property meanders over 350 acres that include trout lakes and numerous trails.
For more information on all the new offerings at Old Edwards Inn and Spa, long onto www.oldedwardsinn.com, or call 866-526-8008. For group travel, contact Special Events at 828-787-2610.
- Photos Available -
About Old Edwards Inn and Spa (www.oldedwardsinn.com)
On 2013 Travel and Leisure World’s Best Hotels List and Condé Nast Traveler’s Gold List, Old Edwards Inn and Spa cascades along several blocks in downtown Highlands—a cultural mountain village that offers award-winning dining, wine events, art galleries and some of the nation’s top golf resorts. The European style resort welcomes visitors to North Carolina’s high country with its unique blend of relaxed luxury recognized worldwide. Three outdoor heated mineral pools, world class spa, award-winning dining, and golf at the private Old Edwards Club are signature experiences at this full-service mountain resort.