FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Amanda Sullivan, 828-200-0650
Safe at Second! Kickball Tournament Held August 4
(Highlands, N.C) Local business sponsored and participated in a Safe At Second! Kickball tournament to raise additional funds for the upcoming Relay for Life walk on Friday, August 17. Six teams competed in the event, which was held at the Highlands ball field on August 4.
Participating teams were:
1. Highlands United Methodist Church led by Joshua Britton
2. Tate Landscaping led by Mark Smolarsky)
3. Team Edwards of Old Edwards Inn led by Brian Crook
4. Delany & The Backscratchers of Old Edwards Inn led by Richard Delany
5. Cocktail Warriors of the Cashiers Area Chamber Of Commerce led by Thomas Craig
6. Highlands Misfits o Highlands Restaurant Group led by Charlie Hyland
The final round came down to Tate Landscaping and Delany & the Backscratchers. The game was neck in neck at 4/4 until Tate scored a last-minute run in the final inning for a 5/4 victory over The Backscratchers.
Teams donated the $150 team entry fee and received an event tee-shirt along with a lunch provided by Highlands Smokehouse, a tournament co-sponsor with Old Edwards Inn. 100% of the proceeds from Safe At Second! Kickball Tournament were donated to Relay For Life of Highlands. The first annual kickball tournament raised nearly $1,400 from team entry fees, raffle drawings from local businesses, and spectator donations for the BBQ lunch provided by the Smokehouse. Raffled donations came from Pescados, Ruka's Table, Kilwin's Chocolate & Ice Cream, Pizza Place and Mountain Fresh Grocery.
Event organizer Dave Linn of Old Edwards Inn and Spa says, “Thanks to all of the fans, players and sponsors, who donated time, prizes, food and funds to help battle cancer!”